Back from Asia. Culture shock galore.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Shine Up Those Apples...The Teacher's Back



The hunt for a new job isn't going so hot. In fact, it's painfully degrading and all around pitiful. It's the only time in my life when I'm forced to use lame words like leverage, radar, implement and synergy. It's probably blatantly obvious that they don't quite slip over my tongue properly. Anyway, as a diversion and to earn some cash I've turned back to ESL. For a few weeks I've been teaching Carlitos, a sweet Argentinean businessman. Today we spent 25 minutes going over the subtle differences between the pronunciation of "fact" and "fuck." And he's been enlightening me as well. Did you know that Vincent Fox is no longer the president of Mexico? Apparently Felipe Calderon has taken over. Where have I been? And tango not salsa is the national dance of Argentina. Hmmmm...

In an attempt to fill up my schedule I interviewed at another school today. For those of you who are unfamiliar with ESL, it's one of the easiest professions to get into. Basically anyone with a degree can get a job; I'm not saying you'd be any good at it, just that you'd get hired. Well, today this guy decided to "test" me by asking me to teach a mock business class on advertising to a group of four supervisors with five minutes prep time. Huh? He kept me sweating up there for almost 20 minutes! Jesus. I'll tell you how it pans out.

Oh, a Korean friend is coming to study TOEFL next week. She and her buddy are crashing at my place for four days and she has expressed a keen interest in going "clubbing." What exactly is clubbing?

Here's a pic of me and Claire (Jun Sook) my new hip-hop roomie.

I've added another one of the family over Thanksgiving: me on my off hours.

1 Comments:

Blogger scarbie doll said...

Nice! Cousin Kate is looking fab as always. I'll keep sending job postings when they come up.

10:25 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home